A photo-journal of my first week of life

A few minutes after being born- I had skin to skin time with mom.  At this point I hadn’t been weighed or measured…in fact I didn’t even have a name yet.

Grandma and Grandpa were there shortly after I was born, but with all the craziness we didn’t get pictures. Mom got a little sick right away so it took a while for things to settle down. Around 10 PM  daddy gave me my first bath.  I LOVED getting my hair washed!

At about 1 AM, just before heading to the nursery for the night, mom and dad had some time alone together.  That’s when they decided my name…Caleb Ashton (my middle name is after my great-uncle Harold Ashton Lange who passed away unexpectedly last summer).

Daddy went home for the night.  Mom was wakened at 3 AM to feed me, then sleep again until 8 AM.  Mom and I spent the first few hours alone together and she spent every waking minute checking me out and cuddling up to me. Since the epidural had completely worn off by morning mom was able to get out of bed and shower before the plunge of visitors came.  Meanwhile, since I was so alert right after I was born…by 10 AM I hit hibernation mode and wanted to sleep all day.

Our first visitors arrived around 10 AM- Uncle Josh and Cousin Dakota (you’ll hear more about them later)

Then daddy came back to the hospital after spending the morning with my big brother Diesel at home. We reacquainted ourselves quite nicely.

Aunt Amber came over her lunch break and then the fury of excited visitors started arriving around 4 PM.  Grandma and Grandpa came with my uncle Jeremy and cousins McKenna and Payton.  Shortly thereafter Aunt Cindy and Cousin Dakota arrived to join the party! While everyone was there, Pastor Greg arrived to enjoy a happy visit at the hospital.  Just as they were about to head out the door…mom and dad’s friend Kelly stopped by after work.  Finally we ended the night of visitors with Grandma & Grandpa O.
Mommy’s room quickly filled with smiles, laughter, flowers and gifts.

(As of Tuesday at 5 PM these were ALL my cousins on my mom’s side.  That changed on Wednesday about 6 PM…You’ll meet him later)

Everyone saying their good-byes

Seeing how long and beautiful my hair is…daddy had some fun.  I think he’s a little jealous of my hair.  Thankfully mom stopped him before he pulled out styling products 🙂

Our last day at the hospital began with one hungry baby.  Mom spent 3 hours straight breastfeeding me…and she felt it later!  Thankfully when daddy arrived I had settled and was ready to rest.  Daddy got me ready to go home while mommy got up and showered for the big day.  Believe it or not this is a newborn outfit…but everything is too big on me!

Nurse Lori was one of mommy’s favorites.  She was there all 3 days, but unfortunately her shift was ending just as I was about to be born.  She really helped mommy a lot!  Here she is helping daddy get me into my car seat for the ride home.  We officially left the hospital at 11:30 AM.

It felt so good to be home at last.  Daddy was so good about taking care of things around the house which allowed mom a chance to sneak in a nap before dinner.  A few people stopped at the house on Wednesday night, Jeremy and the girls stopped after school,   Mom & dad’s friend Kris arrived just before dinner,  and Uncle Andy and his girlfriend Megan came after dinner!  Before the day was over we had one quick impromptu family picture on the couch- Big brother Diesel, Dad, Mom and baby Caleb.

At 6 PM on Wednesday night we got news that Caleb was no longer the little cousin.  Uncle Josh and Aunt Cindy welcomed Keaton, the newest little cousin to the clan.  On Thursday after Caleb’s first Dr. Appointment we swung by the hospital to meet him.  Caleb cleared the doctor’s appointment with flying colors.  Despite mommy’s efforts to feed round the clock her first night home was exhausting.  Caleb was up every hour- feeding for about 20 minutes at a time only to wake up within a half hour to feed again.  Seeing how mom was breastfeeding, daddy felt helpless and mommy seriously considered switching to formula.  Thankfully, staying true to what everyone says- the first night is definitely the worst.  Caleb averted a needle to the heel for the jaundice screen since his color was so flush, and with the plumbing back in order follow the male surgical procedure we were cleared for launch.  Next up- go meet cousin Keaton.  Can you tell which is which?

put it this way- Caleb knows he was number 1.  The dad’s took the proud honor of sharing their pride and joys as the mom’s took pictures.  In fact I believe there were a few select quotes from the movie Hangover and predictions of future conversations our sons would share.  Very precious!

Friday was the day that Gma & Gpa O would head for home,  so of course they jumped at every opportunity to hold me.  They left around 12:30 PM and the whole house became silent.  Daddy and Diesel curled up on the couch while mom and I cuddled in the recliner.  The silence and the nap was a slice of heaven.

One thing mom and dad have learned by now:  Being changed is my LEAST favorite thing.  But here I am before the screaming begins.

On Friday night mom and dad were scheduled to attend Grad class.  In mom’s panic she realized she needed to find a way to feed her little guy while she was away.  Thankfully Gma was coming over to watch me and mom had managed to pump enough for my first bottle feeding.  Mom and dad did indeed leave for class, but made sure to check in several times and hurry home.  Saturday, dad returned to grad class but mom made other arrangements since 8 hours away just was more than her body could handle (Note from mom: the kids eats every 1-2 hours which allows very little time to pump excess) instead we packed up Diesel and I and headed out to Gma & Gpa’s for the day.  My Cousins were all there and loved having hte opportunity to hold me yet again.  We also got a visit from Great Aunt Diane and Uncle Norm with some pretty cute outfits!

Just practicing for Easter

On Sunday, mom and dad both got me all ready and we went to church as a family.  Afterwards Great Aunt Amy and Uncle Dan came over with my 2nd cousins Brooke and Blake.  Blake was able to calm me after having a bout of chaotic fussiness.

Apparently I learned something at church today…You are never too young to start praying 🙂

After everything was said and done…we spent the rest of Sunday as a family.  Mom and I cuddled like usual, daddy spent time introducing me to my big brother Diesel and I even managed to water the flowers from a prone position (Boys add tricks to getting their diaper changed!)

Which brings us to today- my 1 week birthday.  Mom and I slept downstairs last night to allow daddy a good night sleep.  He went back to work today and mom missed him…but we managed.  I have somehow figured out a schedule that allows mom to get a decent amount of sleep (in fact I’ve been sleeping since 9:30 tonight- she should be sleeping with me, but instead she’s blogging until 11:30 PM).  After daddy came home from work, I got daddy time.  Mom had attempted to take me for a walk all afternoon seeing how the weather was well into the 50’s, but instead her and Diesel went for a walk when daddy came home.  And the rest of the night- we vegged.  Just some dinner and lounging time.  The tv never even managed to get turned on today.

Mom is already sad that things are happening so fast.  In 51 weeks I’ll be 1-year-old.  But for now, we’re just going to enjoy every moment we can 🙂
Thanks for all the warm wishes and thoughtful gifts that have been shared with us.  We really appreciate them all…and couldn’t agree with you more.  I am absolutely beautiful and by far the best thing that has happened to my mom and dad!
Sweet dreams- Love, Caleb


1 Comment

Filed under Bundle of Joy, Proud Parents

One response to “A photo-journal of my first week of life

  1. Great Aunt Jan

    Little Caleb, Thank ever so much for taking me along on your first weeks journey in this new life of yours. I know you will make Mom & Dad proud of your trip through life. I know Uncle Harold is feeling very proud that you chose his middle name for yours and I bet he will be a great guardian angel from on high for you. Listen to his whispers of wisdom as he speaks ever so softly in your ears. Caleb, I can’t wait to meet you and give you hugs & kisses. Be kind to mom on your feedings as those nipples can sometimes be very tender. Love you already, your Great Aunt Jan

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s